Sovremenny Bridge Page 1

   For the Latest USS Arizona Update click here. For the Latest LCT Mk 4  Update click here.

   Remember to Refresh (F5) / Reload.

Updated 3rd December 2005

Cutting the bridge side pieces to the correct shape.

Just for a bit of variety, I started work on the bridge. Trumpeter have greatly simplified the structure in this area so a careful study of the drawings and available photos is vital. The main problem is the bridge block does not just rise straight from the deck. There is a walk way on the main deck level passing behind the missile tubes, and on the next deck level there are rectangular cut outs in the bridge sides to give clearance to the missile tube rear doors. The main bridge block is also too narrow by about 3 mm, although the block aft of the bridge is the correct width, the bridge rearward angled doors and their recesses are not formed correctly. The radiused corners on the bridge roof are also missed. Quite a lot to sort out, then!

Begin by cutting away the sides of the bridge block as in the picture above. Left side is symmetrical. Windows have also been opened up, and I have cut away all of the bridge windows as I am modelling the later 2-2-5-2-2 window layout. I unwittingly bought the kit with the early 3-3-7-3-3 window mouldings! Also cut away and save the walls aft of the bridge. We will be needing these again shortly.

Bridge widened with extension pices glued to the fore and aft walls.

The aft facing wall of the bridge structure needs 1.5 mm strips added down each lower side edge, as does the front face of the bridge. Allow the glue to set completely then sand the extensions smooth.

Bridge assemby from aft.

Assembling the bridge is tricky because it is a flimsy structure. A floor for the bridge level stiffens the box considerably, 1 mm thick polystyrene sheet is used for this.

Bridge assembly from forwards.

This view of the bridge shows the extension pieces in the front face of the bridge.

New deck house under the bridge, at main deck level.

1 mm polystyrene sheet is used to fabricate the deck level of the bridge block. Here it is test-fitted to the hull. The original location bars moulded onto the main deck have been cut away and the deck will need a little filler to smooth the cut marks. The recesses modelled between this block and the rear face of the forecastle allow access to doors forward. These will be added from the WEM etched parts kit. At this stage I am unsure of the exact location of these parts, so the recess forward and the two extra strips on the aft face are deliberately oversize, so I can trim them down to the correct length when I have more of the bridge structure to compare with the drawings and photographs.

Test assembly of the bridg on the hull.

Test assembly of the bridge to the main deck.

Work needed on the underside of the bridge block.

Turning the bridge block over, I have strengthened the structure with a transverse wall. The missile door cut outs are boxed in with 0.5 mm polystyrene strip. When the glue has dried fully, the excess material will be trimmed away and the inner walls fitted. The forward corners of the main deck level block have been radiused using the 2.00 mm radius gauge as a scraper, then smoothed with fine abrasive paper.

Bridge assembly continues....

A reinforcing wall has been glued across the front of the bridge assembly, partially to strengthen it, and also to extend the length by a millimetre or so. The original front piece D24 has to be cut down in height, and then extended sideways to match the increase in the bridge width. Study of photos of the real vessel showed the CIWS turret platforms were too long, so this part D23 was discarded.

Underside view of the bridge assembly.

This shot shows the bridge lower floor added as well as the construction of the front face, complete with its width extension and a small brace piece between it and the plastic card front added previously.

Bridge window frames added.

Now the CIWS deck, which is stepped up by 1.5mm, is cut from plastic sheet and glued into place. Photos show this area has its rear edge running off the corner of the front face of the bridge, and not stepped around the angled sides, as the Trumpeter parts are moulded. The front face of the bridge is not vertical, as moulded in the kit, but has a slight horizontal crease in it, so I have glued another piece of thin sheet to form the lower section, while the upper area will be formed from filler. This will feather from the edge of the plastic sheet to just below the bridge windows. Filler has also been applied to all the other joints and will be sanded smooth when it has dried thoroughly. The bridge window vertical frames are added from 2mm square section strip, cut to fit between the top and botton edges of the window cut-outs. Great care is needed to get these evenly space, and vertical. Once the glue has set fully, the window frames will need filing down to match the rest of the bridge. If details inside the bridge are to be added, the insides faces of the window are will also need tidying up.